Areas of Research
Modern Latin American history, twentieth-century Argentina, popular culture, sports history, digital tools and new media in the teaching and learning of history
- Ongoing: Analyzing soccer’s impact in the construction of identities (national, masculine, regional) and politics of respectability, with a particular focus on questions of public behavior and concerns over Argentina’s international standing (1920s-early 1970s).
- New: Examining the role that sports and leisure played in the formation of civic identity in Costa Rica’s central valley between 1870 and 1970.
Civilization and Barbarism in Argentine Fútbol— in progress.
- “Anxieties in the Sports Pages: The ‘Crises’ Narratives of 1950s Argentine Fútbol” (pending review)
- “Digital Approaches to Research and Pedagogy in Latin American Studies,” co-written with Lily Balloffet, The Latin Americanist 62, no. 1 (March 2018), pp. 99-116. doi:10.1111/tla.12180
- “Omeka to ¡Animales!: Building a Digital Repository of Research on Argentine Soccer” Journal of Sport History 44, no. 2 (Summer 2017), pp. 209-224. DOI: 10.5406/jsporthistory.44.2.0209.
- “Pibes, Cracks, and Caudillos: Argentina, the World Cup, and Identity Politics” (co-authored with Charles Parrish), Soccer & Society, vol. 15, no.5 (September 2014), 655-670. [This article also appeared as a chapter in Legacies of Great Men in World Soccer, Kausik Bandyopadhyay, ed. (London: Routledge, 2016): Chapter 3.]
“Luis Gabelo Conejo,” “Association Football: Paraguay,” “Association Football: Uruguay,” and “Association Football: Bolivia,” in Nauright, John and Charles Parrish, eds. Sports Around the World: History, Culture, and Practice, 4 Vols. Santa Barbara: ABC Clio (2012)
- Review of Fútbol, Jews, and the Making of Argentina, by Raanan Rein. Bulletin of Latin American Research 36, no. 2 (April 1, 2017): 253–54. doi:10.1111/blar.12617.
- Review of Sports Culture in Latin American History, by David Sheinin, ed. Journal of Social History, Vol. 50, no. 2 (December 28, 2015): 451-453. doi:10.1093/jsh/shv110.
- “Social Studies Education ‘Down South’,” Teachinghistory.org (February 8, 2012)
- “Comic Books in the History Classroom,” Teachinghistory.org (July 9, 2011)
- “Teaching and Learning History in the Digital Age (AHA 2011),” Teachinghistory.org, (March 11, 2011)
- Authored over two dozens reviews for “Tech for Teachers,” Teachinghistory.org.